In RV’s Carbon Monoxide Gas usually results from:
1.Exhaust leaks from either a vehicle engine or a generator.
2.Improper use of portable gas powered heaters.
3.Someone else’s vehicle or generator when camping in close quarters.
4.Malfunctioning or unvented LP gas appliances
If your RV doesn’t have a carbon monoxide detector you need to purchase a battery operated carbon monoxide detector designed for use in RV’s. Test the carbon monoxide detector every time you use the RV. Replace the carbon monoxide detector batteries when you change clocks for daylight savings time.
Here are some more important safety notes about Carbon Monoxide:
■ Inspect the generator exhaust system before using the generator, every time.
■ Avoid leaving windows down and roof vents open when in close proximity to vehicle and/or generator exhaust.
■ Follow all directions and safety cautions and warnings when operating gas powered heaters.
■ If you use a portable generator direct the exhaust away from the camping area.
■ Never use the range burners or oven to heat the RV!
■ When cooking with the range burners use the range fan & always leave a window cracked open for fresh air and ventilation.
Teach everybody in the RV how to recognize Carbon Monoxide Symptoms. CO symptoms are very similar to flu symtoms. Carbon Monoxide symptoms include:
6.Throbbing in the temples
7.Weakness and sleepiness
8.Inability to think coherently
If you or anyone else experiences any of these symptoms get to fresh air immediately. If the symptoms persist seek medical attention.
Shut the vehicle or generator down and do not operate it until it has been inspected and repaired by a professional.
Happy RV Learning,
RV Education 101
Go for the RV Gold
Follow us on FACEBOOK